ADW gameplay FAQ

Сообщение 2GvShAD_Jah » 24 авг 2011, 10:30

Salute all English-speaking friends! Here is an outcome of a number of discussions in p.m. and posts in forum, that aims to clear white areas in ADW gameplay. Many thanks to Otto for his great work assembling these bits and pieces together.

ADW sometimes makes decisions that are hard to understand. For instance, after killing enemy forces frontline does not advance. What is the reason for this?

A: ADW is not a project, where all players actions directly influence the frontline or even outcome.
Unlike projects like Bellum War, where, for instance, successfull bombing of a city would immediately reduce city's defence radius. The main difference is: wether you are flying or not, the war goes on it's own (well, when there is quorum ofcourse). It is also not as straightforward as it may seem.
For example you may hit the shit out the red tank column and miss howitzers behind it. Next turn your overhemling attack force would be surely killed (because howitzers outrange tanks alot) and you'll see red anti-tank position, spawned from red tank's ammo. Some of these situations are covered further in this FAQ's.
Originaly ADW was pretty stiff. You could clean the whole pathway to enemy's HQs and still see your tanks standing still etc etc. We are trying to make ADW more responsive to player's actions by fixing such bugs and, sometimes, tuning the rules. For instance, depots had 50% plus 5 tons unkillable resources. If you ever bombed depots under strong enemy resistance, you could understand what it means to fly 5 or more missions to close a single depot. We removed that unkillable resources. You may now close the whole depot within one mission. We're constantly working on improving tank's movement.
We do a hard work to make ADW more responsive and fun, but still, ADW is a war that goes on it's own, ant it will always be. Your effort could be useless if you apply it in wrong place or at wrong time.

I have heard ADW is buggy...

A: ADW Generator's code that we have got from GT team was not the final version and hence is very buggy. We have fixed ourseves a lot of things since then, but there are still areas in Generator I don't have any clue how they work or how to fix them. One of them is the way it builds supply paths. Anyway, we are constantly improving and patching ADW for the best online experience. To see what's being done in this area, please check out ADW news and current war's bugs topics.

How long does it take to fix a bug in general?

A: We are processing all reports posted in English and Russian parts of forum. What is possible to solve is being solved immediately. Things that influence the war directly are treated as urgent and solved asap. Big enhancements and/or low priority things are done between wars.

What is current war bugs thread for?

A: This is a thread to report obvious bugs and things that are strange in the way ADW calculates turns. Still, this is wrong place to share your feelings about bugs and things you think are not right. As said above, we process all reports, which mean we would take a corrective action if there is really a problem. With all the respect we can fix the code of ADW, but there are no a doctors on ADW forum to make you feel better.

What is the best bug report should look like?

A: When reporting a problem with a frontline it is very useful to have a sector name(s), amount of vehicles destroyed and links to sorties of pilots participated in target sector (at least of those attacking ground targets). Plus, add a short description of what is done, what result was expected and what really happened.

Q: What are the winning conditions for a war ?

A: War winning conditions were changed with time. Originally a war would be won by the side that wins on the most of maps. However, there were bugs in ADW Generator that were rendering Reds unable to win on early maps as well as Blues to win on late maps. Overall situation was such that Reds were winning all wars due to superiority on late maps and stiffness of ADW Generator. As a temporary solution, before we have got sources of ADW, there was a ratio introduced for winning the map a certain way. It is as follows:
  • HQ Capture = 20 points
  • Destruction of resources = 17 points
  • Airfields capture = 14 points
  • Destruction of reserve aircrafts = 10 points
During the last test war (12th one) all ways to win a map were 10 points. Now the ratio is back and wins are accounted as shown above.

Q: What are these map winning conditions anyway ?

A: There are four conditions one side can win a map. Each of them gives game points to the winning side which are then summed up and the winner of the whole campaign or "war" is the side who has accumulated more points.

HQ Capture = 20 points

If one side manages to support their tanks columns so that they reach opponents HQ alive they are awarded with HQ capture. Tanks need to be alive at the end of mission when they have reached HQ.

Destruction of resources = 17 points

Each map has given amount of tons of each supply type. This amount is different per map. If one side manages to destroy that amount both ammo and fuel it wins based on this criteria. Ships are vital on delivering the supplies to main depots on some maps - if all are destroyed the map ends by this criteria

Airfield capture = 14 points

If one side fails on defending their airfields and the other manages to destroy Airfield resources so that they are all closed, the latter side will win. Sometimes supplies are being unloaded into the AF while it's buildings are destroyed but nevertheless field remains open thanks to this resupply.

Destruction of reserve aircrafts = 10 points

Each side has a limited number of reserve planes per map (it can be different per side) If all planes are destroyed from one side the other side will win. In addition to reserve planes also destroyed static and supply planes are summed up and deducted from reserve.

Supporting strategies for winning:

Each map has a limited number of tanks, fuel & ammo trucks, artillery, train cars and ships. By concentraing your effors on destroying any of these may affect the map outcome e.g. if one side doesn't have any fuel trucks their attack columns are in trouble etc.

Q: I can hardly see the grass runway from the air and it is very difficult to see it when taxing

A: This is the property on 4.10.1 and could not be changed. The problem with grass runaways and visibility is that Deadalos team added true astronomy to the game, thus the amount of light is dependent not only on the time of the day, but also on the day of the year and geographical position. So now it is possible to have polar day and polar night on Murmansk etc.

Q: How fast are units moving on map?

A: ADW is a turn-based war. Turns are calculated between missions. Each vehicle has a number action points (APs) per turn, generally it is 40. Each time vehicle (car, tank, cannon, ship) moves, fires unloads etc some APs are used. Those who played UFO games series should be familiar with this concept. When vehicle moves, depending on the distance to a frontline and enemy forces there are three speeds:
  • Own territory = 1 km/AP, 40 km/turn max, 20-40 km/turn with random factor.
  • Frontline near = 0.5 km/AP, 20 km/turn max, 10-20 km/turn with random factor.
  • Enemy ahead = 0.25 km/AP, 10 km/turn max, 5-10 km/turn with random factor.
As described it the list, additionally there is a random factor that may reduce the speed of vehicle's movement.

Supply and support columns are self-refueled. For attack columns there is an amount of fuel/AP used each time it's vehicles move. Unlike speed, this amount is constant and does not depend on distance to frontline.

Attack vehicles do not move at all if they don't have fuel. Initially they have some fuel but after that they get their fuel from following fuel column i.e. if it is destroyed the tanks will stop to wait for resupply.

Ships do move very fast, so you generally spot them already at main depots on some maps. This may be changed when we implement ship convoys.

Remember that all supply units first load their cargo somewhere during one mission and then unload it at their destination. After this they disappear from map. (this is already explained in another QA)

Q: Now we have number of reserve planes per map as a resource which when depleted end the map. Is it possible to make this one level deeper so that each plane type would have limits e.g. there are 200 BF 109 F4 available for Crimea -41 map. When those are destroyed the squads using them are forced to use reserve planes. Additionally would it be possible to limit the number of each planeset available to force more varion for the plane types meeting in battle?

A: There are limits for all planes and all plane types, including reserves and main. Initially ADW was working exactly as above and the planes were given to squads from the reserve, where additionally 10% of the reserve was locked for reinforcements.

As an example, if you have 60 Fw190-A4 for a planeset, and there are 4 squads 4 pilots each you would have 60 - 16 - 6 = 36 planes available for choosing a planeset. The locked 10% i.e. 6 planes were used to reinforce squads when they we loosing planes.

This resulted into a complication where some very "smart" pilots were registering big squads and taking planesets with FW on early maps to keep them "stored" till 43-45 while they're flying yet another squad with lines more suitable for 41-42. Others then could not fly FW planes at all.

This is how a current solution appeared (introduced by original developers of ADW). On the beginning all squadrons get their planes. For example 10 squads 10 pilots each, you will still have 60 - 6 = 54 planes to choose a planeset BUT all plane loses are still deducted from reserves. In effect this means that if all those pilots will actively fly FWs and crash them - they'll soon be out of planes

Q: Airfield X has been ours for over 10 missions with quorum but it hasn't received any kind of supplies. Is this OK?

A: Mission generator keeps track of POIs (Points of Interest - , depots, cities, airfields etc) and it should know the transport routes between them. However, in some occations it cannot find the route between depot and airfield thus preventing supply delivery. The program code is something we haven't yet studied enough to understand how to maintain it properly and thanks to this it won't be fixed in the nearest future. We are considering to publish those unreachable POIs for both sides listed per map.

Q: We destroyed all tanks and following ammo and fuel columns. After that we destroyed totally the field depot which is feeding the attack columns for that direction. However, next mission there was again small attack column. Where did they come from when the depot is destroyed totally in previous mission?

A: We managed to put all resources like fuel, ammo and repair kits into bunkers, BUT it is still not done for vehicles. So, by destroying all resources you do not destroy vehicles. mission generator is still able to generate an attack column but we expect it to be without fuel and ammo. We also expect it not to have ammo and fuel support columns, because such columns spawned on an empty depot would have no cargo, which will despawn immediately as useless.

Another point is that you should in all circumstances take care that after you destroyed a depot, no supply column is standing right near the depot to replenish it next turn. Also take care that there is no colum that could reach depot next turn to replenish it a turn after. Given above you have to make sure that there is no supply column in radius of 40km heading to the target depot. If there is one right near depot - it will replenish it the next turn. If there is one in reachability radius - it may reach the depot during the next turn and unload some resources the turn after that will make it operational.

Q: What is unload time of supplies?

A: Unload time of a suply column is amount of turns it transfers it's cargo to target depot. Unload starts upon reaching unloading distance to target depot (like 2km or less). Trains and car transport have one turm unloading time, so supply column will stand near depot at least one mission. Ships have two turns unloading time, so they'll stand at least two missions near the target depot. Unloading is one big transaction of 'all or nothing' type. If a ship is destroyed on a second turn of unloading - no resources will come to the target depot.

Q: Version 4.101 allows F2 to use MG151/20. However, when I select that loadout and press fly I am returning to the Arming screen. Is there a bug in ADW mod ?

A: MG151/20 on Bf 109F2 is internally locked on IL2 maps with dates prior the real use of it. In an unmodified game this gun should not appear in the list of armaments if the mission is dated 1940-1941. There is a bug in the MOD itself --> MG151/20 is visible in the list while it should not and it is not allowed by IL2 itself. As soon as war reaches appropriate dates, MG151/20 will be available. MOD makers will take care that modified game will act in this respect the same as unmodified, i.e. MG151/20 will be not shown in the loadout list when it should not appear.

Q: I have never before seen so little ammo being destroyed in depot building (5kg) Is this a bug?

A: That's intentional to make generator to account resources accurately. Formerly it was deducting only whole tons. So you were not able to destroy 999kg of resources. It is fixed now, so don't be surprised if you'll get 1kg resource destroyed

Q: I made a PK to a player but nor the plane kill neither the pilot kill is not visible on mission events. However, flight stats show that I destroyed one plane. What is the reason for this ?

A: It seems that after you killed the pilot he was kicked for death (which resulted in a netlag for this pilot) before plane crashed so therefore there is no event for that in game log. Your stats will be OK - it is a minor bug we won't spent time now to fix it.

Q: Sometimes I get a message that my arming is locked for 60 seconds. when I try to fire my cannon or drop bomb nothing hapens but I see a message counting seconds to unlock my arming. What is this ?

A: It is an anti-cheat feature implemented in ADW mod which lock your arming for 60 seconds if your connection is lagging.

Q: I wan't to fly a supply flight but when I try load some resource I get "Not enough resources" response from server even the AF has lots of them?

A: Be sure to issue the resource load command in correct format:

<load ammo
<load fuel
<load repair

If it is not correct you will get such response

Q: I am surprised that even there is no quorum airfields are getting supplies etc. Is this working as it should be ??

A: This was a bug we just fixed. Earlier quorum affected only tanks which were stopped when there was no quorum. Meanwhile trucks and trains were delivering supplies to the depots, airfields and attack colums. From now on nothing is moving on the map unless there is quorum (currently quorum is 3:3 or 10:0)
Дьявол кроется в деталях.
2GvShAD_Jah
Путешественник
Путешественник

Автор темы
Have thanks: 10 times

Вернуться в ADW English-speaking community